Let’s assume you have been doing email marketing campaigns for a while and you always practice double opt-in when it comes to your email list. As time goes by, you might notice that your bounce rate is gradually increasing. If you’re using an Email Service Provider (bulk email sending provider), you might also see your opens and clicks are decreasing.
This is called mailing list aging. The moment you have added an email address to your mailing list via double opt-in, it starts to age. After a few months, you should perform a reengagement campaign as those email addresses are considered stale and it is risky to send them email marketing contents.
A reengagement campaign involves reaching out to those subscribers to see if they are still interested in receiving your email contents. If the reply is negative or they ignore the reengagement email, it is best to unsubscribe them from your mailing list.
Importance of reengagement campaign
There are many reasons while you should conduct frequent reengagement campaigns:
- Subscribers have changed their email address or their email address no longer exists.
- Subscribers haven’t checked their mailbox in a long time and their email address have been converted into spam trap by their email provider.
- Subscribers could have forgotten that they did sign up for your mailings so might treat your emails as spam.
- Gives subscribers a chance to unsubscribe instead of marking your emails as spam.
Performing a reengagement campaign
- Select your target group of subscribers. You may want to select those inactive subscribers and those emails above a certain age (e.g. 6 months).
- Ideally your email content should be interesting and eye-catching so as to attract the attention of your target subscribers.
- Group your campaign into batches of subscribers so that you won’t be flagged as a spammer for sending out large quantities of emails at once.
- After sending out the reengagement emails, you should be prepared for an increase in unsubscribes.
- After a few weeks, those subscribers that ignored the reengagement emails should be unsubscribed from your list.